Preventing PoisoningIN TODDLERS' HEALTH
- Never call any medicine “candy”.
- Buy medicine and household products in child-resistant packages and keep dangerous products out of your child’s sight and reach (and preferably locked up). This includes vitamins and mineral supplements that contain iron.
- Check your prescriptions before leaving the pharmacy to make sure they’re in child-resistant packaging.
- Throw out all out-of-date prescriptions. As medicines get older, the chemicals inside them can change, turning what was once a good medicine into a dangerous poison.
- Be extremely careful with charcoal lighter, paint thinner and remover, antifreeze, and turpentine, which can be potentially fatal if swallowed.
- Always keep potentially harmful products in their original containers. In case of an emergency, the label on the container will have information about what to do if the product is swallowed, or at the very least, a list of ingredients that will help Poison Control direct you as to what you should do.
- Never store poisons in drinking glasses or pop bottles. Your child may think this is something to drink.
- Don’t leave alcoholic beverages sitting around.
- Store poisonous products away from food so your child doesn’t get the two mixed up and accidentally swallow a poison.
- Keep ipecac, which causes vomiting, around for emergencies.
- Post the number for the Poison Control Center hotline (1-800-222-1222) near your phone.
For more information, please visit the Claxton-Hepburn website.